Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi my 2 year old cat is making wailing noises like she is in

Hi my 2 year old cat is making wailing noises like she is in pain. She is also crouching down but holding her rear end in the air and if she is near a wall or object rubbing herself against it! Do you have any ideas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Crystal but I have a few questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. How long has she been acting this way?
2. Is she neutered/spayed?
3. Is she otherwise eating/drinking, using her litterbox as normal?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has been like this for most of the evening. As far as we are aware she has not been 'done'. She has not touched her wet food and we are not sure about the biscuits as we have 2 cats. We think she is using the litter tray as one of the cats has slight diarrhea

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Martin:
Thanks so much for the additional information.

It sounds to me as if Crystal is in heat. In fact, your description of how she's behaving is classic for it. Many owners think their cats are having a seizure or something is terribly, terribly wrong with them but this is not the case at all. This is absolutely normal behavior for a cat who's in heat although it may appear otherwise and that she's in some distress.

I hate to be the one to tell you that this behavior can last for several weeks in some cases since this is how long the estrus cycle lasts in a female cat. And, they typically come into heat every month unless they become pregnant or are spayed.

So, unless you wanted to breed her, it might be a good idea to put a call into your vet and schedule an appointment to have her spayed. Most vets will not require cats to be out of heat when spayed (unlike dogs). And by spaying during heat, the risk is not significantly increased either.

If you were also wondering if there's anything you can give her to help with her behavior, unfortunately, there isn't. This is all hormonally driven and the best treatment option would be to remove her ovaries (and uterus) which are producing them.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for putting us at ease. Looks like I wont be getting an sleep tonight then! Lol

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Martin:
You're more than welcome.
Well, she may calm down later tonight so you all can get some rest...at least I hope she does:) Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Martin:
Thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Good luck with Crystal as you all suffer through this with her:) Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.