Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

We have looked after my sons cat who works away. The cat is

We have looked after my sons cat who works away. The cat is in a covered enclosure and roams free in it and sleeps in a heated kennel within the kennel.

If we let her out into our large garden would she wander off and go back to her former home.

once we let her out how do we make certain she return's to her enclosure to eat and sleep.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm going to be honest here and say that what she'd do if you let her out into the large garden isn't totally known. She may just walk around in it and check things out. She may become more adventurous in this new surrounding and decide to leave it. Could she leave the garden and head out to explore more? That is a very real possibility. Cats are unpredictable in this respect. If you do let her out, then she should be monitored very closely as the only way to help get her back to the enclosure is through your putting her back. She has mind of her own and if she wants to go explore, there is definitely that chance. I'll say this too, being out like this opens up the opportunity to find "trouble". This is how I see cats at my ER clinic when they jump off something they shouldn't or find something else to get in trouble with. If your son keeps her in the enclosure, I would just follow through with what he's doing.