Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my cat was chased over fence she has no bites walking ok very

Customer Question

my cat was chased over fence she has no bites walking ok very nervos will not eat or drink staying my bedroom has come down for the loo what shall ido
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. Your question was miscategorized which I corrected for you.

Can you tell me, please, how long it's been since your cat was chased over a fence and is behaving so? Reclusing oneself in a place that affords the most security and comfort - your bedroom - when a cat has been badly frightened is normal behavior for cats and might persist as long as your cat detects the stimulus that prompted her behavior initially - another cat, a dog, or perhaps a human with a water hose.

As long as you haven't found any obvious injury and she's eliminating normally in her box, you can simply watchful wait because she will normalize - when, however, can't be predicted. You might also bring her food dish up to your bedroom - at least temporarily. I need to know that she has eaten. Fasting for more than 72 hours risks hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) and force-feeding, then, should commence under the guidance of her vet.

I do want you to check her vital signs for me. Please check her gum and tongue color - they should be nicely pink - not whitish. Please check her respiratory rate at rest. She should take no more than 35-40 breaths/minute.

Thank you. I'll await your reply.