Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

would one be able to feel two big cysts in a thin cat. The

Customer Question

would one be able to feel two big cysts in a thin cat. The cysts were as big a a small womens fists.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
My condolences for your loss of your cat. If you were palpating (feeling) his abdomen and felt two "big cysts" you were likely to be feeling his enlarged kidneys which could achieve the size of a small woman's fist when infiltrated with cancer cells such as is seen with lymphoma. Lymphoma is a common cause of such a finding and his thinness and support that diagnosis.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mr. Salkin,
Yes he was thin but not under weight, no temperature. Had been ill with diarhia for 3 weeks, and not eating much. No sickness but they had always had upset tummies as in all cats? No sickness found and very clean in himself? But he was out most of the day, very shy cat but so loving. A Nowegion forest cat. The bigger of the two was the boss. Rescued ones; we had them 3 years ago.

Taken to emergancy vets, and gone. Our poor cat? Two exrays, opened up and advised to put him to sleep. I should let this go I guess? But surely we should have felt the cysts Don`t worry ,I will understand if u do not reply.

Thank you for the additional information, Julie. Were you told what was found when they opened him up? I suspect metastatic cancer - lymphoma, usually - if they advised euthanasia.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again, yes, the vet had explained all the imfo. But it does`nt

really tell the layman does it? I should have liked to have been there when the vet took them and I think it is a good idea for people to be asked to be there. He was warm but seemed to be very heavy when I picked him up

as if he had been dead a long time As u know they warm the cages sometimes they are put in

Thank you once again, u are very kind to answer back, Would one see the cysts on the exrays? and on seeing how big they are; would a vet then open the poor thing up?

We put him in our garden. He was or seemed to be very heavy when picked up just two hours later after op and very warm. He had been the

vets for 24 hours and operated on at about two`ish the next day.

I will get more imformation.

-

Yes, Julie, an X-ray would have seen quite a bit. Please pass along any information you receive. I'll interpret any reports you're having trouble with for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Then would they have to had opened him up Mr. Salkin? would this have been to see how far it had gone? unnecessary perhaps? Thanks for your responces, I`m grateful to you.

Yes, you mentioned that he was "opened up" earlier. An abdominal ultrasound would have sufficed. Advanced cancer is the abdomen is easy to see in an ultrasound image.

You're welcome, Julie.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.