Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

can I put iodine on a cats wound?

Customer Question

can I put iodine on a cat's wound?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

There is no reason why you cannot put iodine on a cat's wound, just dilute it down about 1 : 4 and that should be fine, it may sting a little ...

Customer:

I would be grateful for an answer to my question

Customer:

it is not smelling so great - a pharmacist friend told me to bathe the wound three times a day with iodine - should I do this with the 1:4 solution?

Scott Nimmo :

Iodine washes are sometimes used as a pre-surgical scrub in the cat, I have done this many times in my career ..

Customer:

thank you - I read recently that some household detergents/antiseptics etc are toxic to cats and I do not want to cause her any harm in trying to heal her

Scott Nimmo :

That should be OK. The problem you face though is that cat's often get infected wounds say following cat bites or abscesses and sometimes they may need antibiotics because the infection is deeper in the depths of the tissues where surfaces washes will not penetrate.

Scott Nimmo :

Some human antiseptics are unsuitable that's true, iodine is not one of them though ..

Customer:

I adopted her from a cat adoption centre - however she is feral and seems afraid of people - she has been microchipped twice which suggests she has been abandoned twice. I managed to 'catch' her in the garden whilst putting food out for her because, I think, she was wounded, and have kept her indoors since. Am worried about her going back in the garden - (a) because it is hard to keep track of her and (b) in case she is savaged again and I won't know because she is so difficult to approach. The cat adoption centre told me she was able to live with other cats and friendly - she is friendlier to me now than when I adopted her three months ago - but she seems to prefer being on her own in the outside - am not sure how safe it is to let her be feral and just put food out for her or whether there is anything else I should be doing in attempting to look after her.

Scott Nimmo :

Perhaps pharmacist your friend can get you some human Amoxycillin tablets { an antibiotic } The dose rate I personally would use would be in the range of between 5 to ten mg per lb of your cat's bodyweight depending on the situation, this is given twice a day orally for five to seven days.

Where I give a client advice on drugs or dose rates I always supply a link so they can check the accuracy of what I have said and read the contraindications : LINK

Customer:

the wound appears to have stopped bleeding - I think - and it is darker than it was when I saw it yesterday but the smell is bad

Scott Nimmo :

That is such a hard decision, I have six stray cats of my own, I always tend to keep them indoors so I can keep an eye on them, they will usually come round and adapt as house cats ...

Scott Nimmo :

If there is a bad smell this may mean the wound is infected ...

Customer:

should I take her to a vet? Do vets open on Saturdays?

Customer:

She appearst o be well in herself

Customer:

my pharmacist friend lives in the Middle East

Scott Nimmo :

Most vets do open on Saturdays, that would be a good plan to get some antibiotics ...

Scott Nimmo :

Too bad, a shame he or she is not nearer ...

Customer:

ok - hopefully it won't get worse - I have had three cats from the adoption centre and one died last July of FIP - literally within a couple of weeks of noticing her belly swell up - am frightened of my new cat not surviving. When I took Luna to the vet last July I was told there was nothing to be done, charged a lot, and she died a week later.

Customer:

yes it is. Will go to boots now and ask for iodine and hopefully get a vet appointment for her tomorrow

Customer:

thank you for the opportunity to chat online

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry to hear about Luna, this should be a very minor affair this time ...

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, glad to have advised you ...

Customer:

did not get Minou until February this year as was advised to wait 6 months before getting another cat. Luna's brother appears to be fine.

Customer:

thank you again. Best wishes

Customer:

Elizabeth

Scott Nimmo :

FIP is actually not really contagious, I would not worry to much about other cats in the household getting it ...

Customer:

again thank you.

Scott Nimmo :

no problem, good luck ...

Hello again Elizabeth,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a few days to check on Minou's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much!

My direct email is [email protected]

I am extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to talk to you.

Best wishes

Elizabeth

From Elizabeth Dudley
Researcher / Senior Parliamentary Assistant to The Rt. Hon. Dame Margaret Beckett MP

House of Commons, 1 Parliament Street

Westminster, London SW1A 0AA

I remain at your service Elizabeth ...

Just Answer will have blocked out your Email address I am afraid as they like all contact to be through the site. But you can contact me via my profile link.

Kindest regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will do!

Hello again Elizabeth,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Minou is getting on with the wound.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Scott

Many thanks for coming back to me. I did put iodine on Minou but the smell and the wound did not appear to get any better so I took her to a vet in Islington who told me it was infected and inflamed. She gave her a long lasting two-week antibiotic injection and an anti-inflammatory injection after shaving her fur around the wound area and cleaning it with what looked like a hib solution. She said the would looked like a cut, that Minou had probably landed on something sharp. I have been giving Minou anti inflammatory medication daily and am due to take her back to the vet tomorrow to be reviewed. The smell is not nearly as bad as it was, the would still looks red but much better, she is much more alert and lively in herself (bounding around, actually). The vet said she would decide tomorrow whether or not the wound needed stitching but, given the area it is, if it does not require stitching (it is under her front right leg) that would be preferable.

Hello again Elizabeth,

Thanks so much for the update, it sounds as if things are going the right way ...

Regards,

Scott