Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a male neuterd cat ,On occasions He seems to de having

Customer Question

I have a male neuterd cat ,On occasions He seems to de having problems passing water
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me ... How long has Douglas had this problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

to te best of my knowledge about two weeks

Hello again Allan and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Douglas's problem. However I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. In direct answer to your question : The best thing is that you should take your cat to a vet at the next opportunity because if he is having problems passing urine it might be the start of a disease called FUS. This is potentially quite a very serious situation so if there is even the slightest chance that your cat has this or it is developing you should not take chances but seek hands on help as soon as possible.

2. You see male cats suffer from a syndrome called FUS { Feline Urological Syndrome } at its less severe this can present as a cystitis and will respond to antibiotics but often as the disease progresses the urethra which is the narrow tube from the bladder to the outside will become blocked. The bladder then expands and a back pressure may occur to the kidneys resulting in kidney failure as well as bladder damage, deaths are possible if it gets to this stage.

3. Basically urinary tract problems are pretty well always bad news in male cats and there is nothing you can do to help on a home remedy basis. But here is a link to a very accurate article which covers the situation in much more depth : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott