Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my cat is crawling on the floor with its bottom in the air

my cat is crawling on the floor with its bottom in the air and crying.
She is a new mum 6 weeks ago and is nursing three kittens.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

This is no problem .... Unless it is spayed or pregnant a female cat is likely to come into season for about three days each three weeks and they will typically have their season again five or six weeks after having had kittens.

Scott Nimmo :

The signs you can expect to see are the following :

1. The cat becomes more affectionate than usual.
2. Your cat rolls around the floor.

3. She carries her tail to one side.

4. The cat becomes very vocal and meows a lot. { Calling } This vocalisation can become very noisy with loud yowls day and night. Her voice may become more piercing than usual.

5. Your cat assumes a position with her hind end in the air.

6. She may lick her genital area more and may urinate more.

Scott Nimmo :

There is really nothing much you can do to help out a cat in season, the best thing to do would be to have her spayed at the first opportunity. There are drugs to take the female cat out of season but they are only temporary and I personally would not use them on my own cat.

Scott Nimmo :

She will be out of season within three days so you can have her spayed a week or so after that ...

Customer:

Hi Scott

Customer:

hi Scott

Customer:

Hi Scot,Thanks for your advice,Holly is a very young mother we took her in as a stray and we have her booked in to be spayed in two weeks time.I was very worried this morning so thank you. regards, Liam

It should be no problem Liam, many people are caught out with cats in season, they think they are in pain :-)

Regards,

Scott