Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

my cat is losing its fur on the inside of his back legs and

Customer Question

my cat is losing its fur on the inside of his back legs and tummy. apart from that he seems ok. any ideas please
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Is George scratching at these areas? Is he neutered?

Does the skin appear normal where there is hair loss?

Does he lick at these areas?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he is licking and seemingly nibbling at the areas but not excessively. he is neutered. he does not appear to be scratching the areas a great deal but he would find that difficult I think where they are

Thank you Gillian for that information....sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

It may be that George is allergic to something and this will respond to Benadryl or Diphenhydramine at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This can be purchased at the chemist. If he does not respond to this, then this may be a Hormone Responsive Alopecia which will require meidcation from your vet.

Take Goerge to your vet for an exam and then they will give the apprropriate medication to help George past this.

Does that make sense to you, Gillian?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta