Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has blood in her feces. She seems well enough in other

My cat has blood in her feces. She seems well enough in other ways but it can't be right. She is now around 15 years old. She isn't distressed at all and eats well enough on the whole. Is this likely serious?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has your lass had blood in her feces?

Are her feces otherwise normal colored?

Does the feces look runny or loose at all?

Does she pass any blood from her rectum when not passing feces?

Any visible lumps, bumps, or wounds around her rectum?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've just noticed it in the last month.

Colour varies, sometimes normal, other times clay coloured, sometimes dark.

Usually formed, occasionally loose.

Not that I've noticed.

Haven't noticed any lumps.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Diane,

Now when we see blood with the feces, there can be a range of culprits to blame. Since you have noted that she has been having variation in her stool and has no signs of visible lumps or bumps; we would be less concerned about rectal growths or anal gland disease here. Instead, our main considerations for what is a sign of colonic inflammation/irritation will be parasitic infection (ie whipworms), inflammation or infection of the colon (colitis).

In regards XXXXX XXXXX approach here, the first step would be to consider worming her at this stage. This would just allow us to rule out whipworms as the root of her signs. Ideally, we'd want to use Panacur, Drontal or Milbemax as it will cover all the worms in question and rule them out as the cause for her signs. These are available over the counter at the vets, pet stores, and some pharmacies. Do make sure you have an idea of her weight before purchasing, so you make sure to get the right dose for her size.

From there, we'd next want to address and rule out inflammatory colitis. To do so, we can often settle these with a light/easily digestible diet. (Though bacterial induced colitis will often require antibiotic treatment). Examples of bland diets would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (avoid those with garlic powder in the ingredients) There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D (LINK) or Royal Canin Sensitivity Control LINK)). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. We usually will try them on the diet for a week until signs settle, and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

If you try the above but do not see her signs start to settle over the weekend (since this has been going on for a wee while already), then we'd want to follow up with her vet at that stage to rule out bacterial causes for her colitis signs.At that point, you may also consider bringing a fecal sample with you for evaluation. The vet will be able to examine your kitty, assess her hydration, and if bacterial colitis is confirmed, the fecal sample can be sent to the lab for evaluation to identify the agent responsible and what treatment will be effective to clear it. They can also cover her with broad spectrum antibiotics to treat against the most common bacterial agents of colitis.

So, we do have a few considerations for her signs even if she is otherwise well. Therefore, it would be ideal to rule out the parasitic differential by treating for with a wormer that will address whipworms and trial her with an easily digestible diet for inflammatory colitis. But if that doesn't settle then we do want to have her seen by her vet to make sure there is nothing more sinister afoot for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.