Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Hi I have a seven week old kitten who had got onto table with

Hi I have a seven week old kitten who had got onto table with its mum. Mum was washing it and suddenly heard a thud and it had clearly fallen on floor, stone tiles. It limped to its bed. It's now huddled up and sleeping and is shaking.I checked him over and he did not squeal with any obvious pain. Should I get an emergency vet appointment?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you take a respiratory rate (just count his breaths for 10 seconds then multiply by 6)?

Can you check his gums to make sure they nice and pink (not white or pale)?

Will he let you feel the lame leg? Any swelling, bleeding, pain, or instability in the bones when you palpate the leg?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Respiratory rate 42, gums look ok I compared his to his brothers and sisters (there are 5 in litter) yes he lets us feel leg no instability. He has stopped shaking now. It happened about 30 mins ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Comparing between kittens is always a good way to tell whether there is an abnormality present or not.

Now I am glad to hear that the shaking has subsided, as it would have been a non-specific sign that he may have had a bit of shock or just was shaken up by this unexpected fall. So, to see it pass suggests that he is settling after his fall.

Furthermore, his respiratory rate also confirms this, as he is breathing comfortably and not showing any struggles (where increased abnormal rates could suggest contusions or bleeding in the lungs or chest). And his good gum color further removes worries of internal bleeding being an issue here.

If the leg feels free of instability, then concerns of fractures would be less a worry (and since he was walking though limping on it dislocations would be less likely as well). Therefore, in this instance, the lameness is more suspicious of soft tissue soreness and bruising from the fall rather then something more sinister. (which we'd likely be the same if we lept of a similar height relative to our size).

In this situation, since he is stable, settling, and not in overt pain; you have two options. You can have him checked out by his vet so that you can officially rule out serious traumatic damage and have kitty safe pain relief dispensed (ie metacam for cats). Otherwise, since he is stable you can choose to monitor him at this stage. If you choose the latter, then we'd want to keep him rested (no more table climbing adventures for a wee while) and warm compress the leg to reduce soreness and inflammation. If you find the lameness doesn't settle over the next 12- 24 hours, then you could consider following up with his vet once they are open for regular hours to have the leg assessed and pain relief provided.

Overall, as long as he is stable, settling, not in severe pain, and you do not feel a palpable fracture, this wouldn't be an emergency situation and you could choose to monitor at this stage to see if it settles as the shock of the fall wanes for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.