Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Hello, I have two timid 10 year old cats who appear to be in

Hello, I have two timid 10 year old cats who appear to be in good health. They both eat well and seem well within themselves. I rescued them from a rescue home so they are quite scared cats. One of the cats has been scratching quite a bit recently and has matted some fur (its pretty common in both of them as they are long haired outdoor cats) I cut away the fur last night and when doing it I noticed she had black marks on her skin. They aren't raised or sore looking - they very much look like a birth mark but I havent noticed them before so it concerned me. Is this something to be concerned about? My parents say my dog had birthmarks all over her skin and its pretty normal but I just wanted to get some thoughts. Its a cluster of black looking stains. It almost looks like fur growing back darker if that makes sense? Thanks, Julie
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

What you are describing is called hyperpigmentation, and it is a discoloration of the skin secondary to chronic irritation. If your cat has been scratching, there may be allergies that are causing the chronic irritation/inflammation, and that is the cause of the discoloration. The discoloration is not a concern, but it just tells us that there is something going on that may need to be addressed in order to keep Trouble happy. If she is itching to the point of skin discoloration, she may need treatment. If you have Benadryl over there in the UK (diphenhydramine HCl), you can give her about 12mg every 12 hours and see if that helps with the itching. If it doesn't, or if you don't have that drug available over there, see your vet to find a solution for the itching.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.