DR.J
DR.J, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

My 2 female cats are11months old had them since 8wks old one

My 2 female cats are11months old had them since 8wks old one is larger than the other for the last 4months the larger cat has attacked the small one very badly I separate the attacker into a room by herself with all her food ect for about 24 hrs she might be ok for a week or three then attack again what should I do
Category: Cat
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your problem.

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about your domestic problem with your cats.

DR.J :

Let me start by asking ;

DR.J :

Do your cats go outdoors or do you like in an apartment ?

Customer: I live in a house have not let them outdoor yet
Customer: i live in a house have not let them out yet
DR.J :

Hi ..

DR.J :

I shall start by letting you know that the ideal situation for cats is one cat per house hold .

DR.J :

Cats are solitary animals and like living on their own .. and so having more then one cat in a house can cause trouble.

Customer: Do u think only one should stay
DR.J :

Sorry , got cut off

DR.J :

Well . there are few things you might want to try first .

DR.J :

1. You can try and use a product called Feliway - http://www.feliway.com/uk/

DR.J :

this product is great in defusing tension in a multi cat house hold

DR.J :

It spreads natural pheromones which calm the animal down and creates a calmer atmosphere.

DR.J :

2. Looking two adult cats in a small house without allowing them to avoid each other is a problem . Cats must have the option to not see each other and avoid each other for long periods of time . for that end you should try and have separate feeding bowls and water bowls , located in far ends of the house. as

DR.J :

As well you might try and allow them to get out of the house , this will provide with the necessary outdoor environment which will help diffuse the tension between them .

DR.J :

If all else fails then and they are still at each others then it might be wise to give one up for the safety and happy living of both .

Customer: Thank you will try all above first