Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat has pulled out one of his claws. He is limping but not

My cat has pulled out one of his claws. He is limping but not bleeding. There is a grey coloured soft tissue showing where the claw was. Do I need to get him to a vet immediately, or make an appointment tomorrow, or will this grow back of its own accord with no veterinary help required?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Smudge hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you haven't received a timely reply but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I'm not certain that Smudge would necessarily need to be seen by your vet, since most injuries of this sort won't require antibiotics; they don't become infected..
If he continues to limp, however, then pain medication may be necessary to deal with his discomfort.

I'd suggest that you clean the affected toe with dilute, over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) twice a day. You could place his foot in a small bowl if that's more convenient.
An acceptable option would be any product which contains Chlorhexiderm in the label since this ingredient has anti-bacterial properties.
I wouldn't apply any over the counter anti-bacterial ointment or cream to the toe (to help ward off infection) unless you can prevent access to the area. Cats can be quite sensitive to such drugs so you wouldn't want to cause more harm.
He could wear a cone but this would, most likely, cause more stress for him.

In most cases, the nail will regrow although it can take several weeks to do so.

It's certainly possible that the nail was removed secondary to trauma but I've seen cancer affect older cats as well, unfortuantely, which can cause loss of a nail.
So, if the nail doesn't appear to be regrowing or the tissue where it was located appears to be enlarging or changing shape, then it might be prudent to have him seen.

Other signs to monitor would be an odor or discharge from the toe.

I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Linda:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, good luck with Smudge; I hope you see improvement within a short period of time. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.