DR.J
DR.J, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

Hi I have three cats all been neutered one female and two mAle

Hi I have three cats all been neutered one female and two mAle there sibling the biggest cat keeps biting his sister on the neck and she crys and hissing sometimes how can I stop this?
Category: Cat
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your problem

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about you problem with

DR.J :

Let me first start by saying that cats are solitary animals . as apposed to dogs which are pack animals and love being part of a group as it reassures them and gives them stability , the opposite can be said about cats .

DR.J :

Cats don't like group and have no sentiments to their brothers or sisters. This like being alone and this is why firstly it's best to have one cat per household .

DR.J :

When you have several cats put together you are creating a stressful environment for them which will result in eventually someone getting bitten or worse (and its usually the weak member of the group). I don't know how big is you house/flat but cat will go out of their way to avoid each other and no walk the same paths as other cats . even when placed outdoors - it has been shown that they can time themselves that when the go walking - they will have little to no encounter with other cats which share their territory.

DR.J :

A gentle smack will do no good in your situation as well no one is to blame (your cat should not be punished) .

DR.J :

As well - you might argue that you see them groom each other which means they like each other . that is incorrect as their activity of grooming is a necessity to try and lower the imposed situation of all three living together.

DR.J :

So what can you do :

DR.J :

1. Firstly allow them to have the chance to go outdoors if possible - so they can avoid each other - reducing their stress levels and getting along better .

DR.J :

2. make sure each has a separate water and food bowl - located as far away from one another as possible

DR.J :

3. Apply the following - http://www.feliway.com/uk/

DR.J :

it is called a Feliway diffuser and it releases calming pheromones to the environment which might reduce the stress levels and thus allow for a quieter life

DR.J :

The main aim is to reduce stress as I have mentioned before - reduced stress will aid as well to stop your cats getting sick with various diseases and prolonging their lives.

DR.J :

I hope this helps.

DR.J :

If you have any other questions please let me know and I shall do my best to help

DR.J :

I wish you 4 all the best and calm days :)

DR.J :

Dr.J

DR.J :

Please before you leave our conversation , do not forget to rate it .

DR.J :

Thanks :)

DR.J :

Please do not forget to rate our chat before you leave , thanks :)