Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat gets stressed out when we leave her in a cattery. What

My cat gets stressed out when we leave her in a cattery. What can I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be happy to help you. It may be difficult to fully eliminate her stress, but you may be able to lessen it. If this is a new occurrence, I would definitely consider having your vet check her out to make sure she is not developing any type of medical problem, especially with her age. This could include hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, liver disease and diabetes, among others. Feeling ill can cause her to stress out even more. I would also consider getting her something like cat nip to keep with her when boarding. Some cats find comfort in that. Also send her a blanket that you would use, so it has your smell on it. I would also consider sending her with Feliway for them to spray in her kennel. It is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to relieve anxiety. You can also talk to your vet about putting her on anti-anxiety medications when she gets kenneled. I would use this as a last resort, but it is definitely a viable option. If worse comes to worse, see if you can get a pet sitter to come to your house and watch over her when you are out of town. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 years ago.
Hello, Rose. I was just following up to see if you had any other questions about Poppy?