Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I am going on holiday for 5 days. Will my cat be happy in

I am going on holiday for 5 days. Will my cat be happy in his own house with a friend popping in and out everyday to feed him etc. He is a very timid cat and I can't bare the thought of putting him into a cattery. Am I being cruel? :(
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

You are not being cruel in the least. As much as you cannot bare the idea of putting Paolo in a cattery, he likely feels the same. A cattery will not just be home without you but a strange place with strange cats, strange smells, strange sites, and it would constitute a much bigger stress for Paolo. Furthermore, sharing an airspace with other stressed cats could potentially put him at risk of catching cat flu. And while home will obviously not be the same without you, letting him stay home with supervision will allow him to have as stable a situation as possible while you are away.

Therefore, as long as you have someone reliable and vigilant feeding and checking him daily to make sure all is well, then this is fine. I emphasize checking because we don't want them to just be putting food down without appreciating that he is eating, drinking, toileting normally and not having any issues while you are away. If they are keen and know Paolo, it would be ideal if they did spend a bit of time in the house with him (but as cats are much more independent then dogs this isn't absolutely necessary as long as they are at least monitoring that he is well)

Finally, do make sure yo leave your vet's contact details for the carer and consider just letting your vet practice know who is caring for him and thus has permission to bring him in if there is any issue. That way, everyone will know what to do if Paolo were to have any issues while you are away.

Overall, letting your kitty stay home while you are away is not cruel as long as someone is checking on him daily to make sure all is well. And as I noted before, if you gave Paolo the option, this would probably win his vote over any cattery.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much that has been a great help and has so put my mind at rest. I don't know how he hasn't picked up on my stress over this!!! However as I said he is very timid and only loves his mamma lol . He normally shoots out the cat flap if anybody else comes in so it is unlikely that the will let my friend pet him and fuss over him like I do but I do believe he will be more content at home. He is chipped and is the only cat who can get through my cat flap so it will be easily monitored as to how much he is eating. I have a cat fountain where he gets clean filtered water at all times. Do you think this will be okay? Thank you

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Karen.

I agree that being in his home environment will be much less stressful. And this is the way my kitties "holiday" when I am away (though my kitties have special needs and medication, so they get twice daily visits).

The only things I would note further here is that it would be ideal if Paolo would consider staying in (using a litterbox) while you are away. Just as it would make sure he didn't dash away from the house when your friend arrived, they could monitor his urination and bowel movements and keep any worries about accidents outside off the table while you are away. If he won't then this would make those factors potential small issues but if he is timid I suspect he'd be a cat that wouldn't mind staying in too much.

Overall, I do think he will be fine and I do think that this will be a better tolerate option for him then being in a cattery.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.