Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

my cat has got a cancer tumour in her abdomen.she only had

my cat has got a cancer tumour in her abdomen.she only had 3 weeks to live 18 months ago but amazingly she is still here. but she also has a skin disease which the vet gives cortisone injections for about every 6 weeks. unfortunately the injections are not working so well now and consequently she is damaging her skin by scratching I think she is often very distressed by this although she still eats quite well. my vet doesn't think there is any answer to the problem really. I don't know how old she is because we had her as a stray----shes been with us for 9 years. Is there anything else we could try?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Sam's situation with her tumor and her skin situation. In a situation like this with a skin issue that is staying persistently itchy despite steroid use, one should question if there is something else added in to cause the itching. In a situation like this, could there be a secondary skin infection with a bacteria that is adding into the discomfort. Could there be a mite issue that has started up? Steroids and the tumor process can suppress the immune system and let either of these start up. In this situation, I would consider doing a skin scrape to see if there are any mites that need to be treated. Fleas are also one thing to make sure that isn't missed. If no parasites are found, then could a trial of antibiotics be done for a possible secondary skin infection.