Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I know lilies are toxic for cats but are orchids ok also

I know lilies are toxic for cats
but are orchids ok
also two new little lovely kittens I have
one tries to lick me all over
hands arms legs anywhere there is a gap between clothing
almost obsessive , would prefer her not too
though don,t mind occasional
why does she do it
and how can I curb her
thank you so much [email protected]
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee ones today.

While we don't want to encourage them eating orchids, generally speaking they are considered a non-toxic plant for kitties.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX licking, this is a benign behavior that you will need to teach her is not desirable. To do so, consider using a more pungent strong smelling deterrent (ie mint scented non-toxic hand creams, etc) or short term use of an anti-lick spray (example) that tastes unpleasant. The aim of these is to teach her that you do not taste nice and therefore are not something to lick excessively.

Alternatively, you need to deter the behavior by stopping her from carrying out the behavior. If she starts to lick, you need to break contact and redirect her behavior. This can be via distracting her with a toy or play. For stubborn kitties that resist positive redirection, they may need to be put into a "time out" to distract their attention (since it isn't really punishment, just a distraction, you can let them have a toy or entertainment). Once they have had time to think about other things, you can let her out. But if she returns to licking excessively, then repeat for longer and so forth until she stops the behavior. Overall, it isn't a bad habit but it is a habit that you want to train her out of now to avoid it being one she carries on with through life.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )