Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

How do i stop my cat from going to toilet in my bathroom/s

Customer Question

How do i stop my cat from going to toilet in my bathroom/shower!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about the problem with Leo. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Is it urine, feces, or both that Leo is putting in the bathroom?

Rebecca :

Is his litter pan in that bathroom?

Rebecca :

How long has he been doing this?

Rebecca :

Cats will urinate on smooth surfaces like tile if they have pain with urination; if it stings or burns when they urinate. So the first thing to do is a urinalysis to be sure he does not have bladder stones, cystitis, or an infection.

Rebecca :

It will be nearly impossible to get him to stop if he does. When it hurts to urinate, cats avoid litter for some reason.

Rebecca :

If his urine checks out normal, then the tricks to stop unwanted behavior are to add Cat Attract, an herbal additive, to the litter box, to keep the bathroom closed for awhile to break the habit, and to have very clean (scooped at least daily) litter boxes (More than one) without hoods or covers.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing! I am not seeing responses from you.

Rebecca :

I can try to connect another way, if I do not hear from you soon.

Rebecca :

It is always easier to treat a physical problem, than a behavior problem, so a urinalysis is where I would start. He might be trying to tell you something!

Rebecca :

If he has cystitis (inflammation or infection in the bladder), it may stop when he is treated.

Customer:

he does

Rebecca :

He does what?

Customer:

h

Rebecca :

I am not seeing your replies!

Rebecca :

This is frustrating, probably for you, too. I can't see responses from you.

Rebecca :

I will try to connect in the other format. We will lose this live chat, but you can still ask questions that I will answer. I hope that way I can see what you are saying.

Rebecca :

The website times out this live chat in 10 minutes, so we don't have much more live chat time.

Customer:

h d b i t b , d k a i. b d i f a y. c b a i b.

Rebecca :

All I see are letters: h d b i t b , d k a i. b d i f a y. c b a i b. I am sorry, but I don't understand.

Rebecca :

the timer will run out soon. I will try the other format, and hope that I can see what you are saying.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Lynette,
I hope this works better for you and that you are able to see what I have been writing.

The first place to start, is to have him checked for a bladder problem that is causing him pain or discomfort when he eliminates. Many cats that seek out smooth surfaces for elimination have a problem, that once treated, stops the unwanted behavior.

Please let me know what other questions you have.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating.

Rebecca