Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat has been feeling very sorry for herself since Friday

Customer Question

My cat has been feeling very sorry for herself since Friday and appears to be in pain at her back end.I can't see any cuts or bites but her bottom looks red and sore and she is licking it a lot, I haven't taken her to the vets because she's hard to get in the cat carrier and I don't want to cause her any more pain and distress if I don't have to. thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Martha.

Rebecca :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Rebecca :

Is she having normal bowel movements?

Customer:

She hasn't been eating as much as usual but she has had some food and water

Rebecca :

The first thing I would check if she were mine is for an infected or inflamed or impacted anal gland.

Rebecca :

They have two glands inside their anus. You can't see them from outside. If one of these glands is infected, she would be painful, and lick at her back end a lot.

Rebecca :

Does she go outside?

Customer:

I don't know if she's been going to the toilet because she goes outside, I haven't seen her go outside but she may have gone at night as we have a cat flap. How do I check the anal gland

Rebecca :

Another thing I would check for if she goes outside, is an infected puncture wound from a fight with another cat.

Rebecca :

The only way to check the anal glands is to put on a glove and put a lot of lubricant on a finger, put a finger into the anus, and feel the glands. Not recommended you try this at home, and don't know where to find the glands.

Customer:

I have had a feel but can't find any wounds round her back end. This started on Friday, do you think she wouldn't have gone to the toliet since then?

Rebecca :

If she is really sore, she might not want to pass stool. Cats can hold it in for days if they want to. But she may be going, if you do not know for sure. Again, if I could examine her, I could feel her colon and tell you if there is stool in it. But it took me years to learn how to do that, and experienced people showing me.

Customer:

No I need a vet for that!! She seems to be slightly better than Friday so I was just waiting to see how she was getting on because going to the vet really upsets her. Is this something that could improve itself or will she definitely need treatment?

Rebecca :

If she has an infection, it will probably need treatment. But if she is getting better, and is eating, you could continue to monitor her.

Customer:

How long should I watch monitor her for ?

Rebecca :

If she is not getting better, I would have her checked in a day or two. If she stops eating, sooner.

Customer:

How would she have got an infected anal gland?

Rebecca :

It just happens. Not as common in cats as in dogs, but it just happens. Bacteria gets into the gland, and/or the gland gets impacted.

Customer:

Ok, thanks for your help

Rebecca :

You are welcome. I hope she is better soon

Rebecca :

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Rebecca :

I will be checking back, to see how she is doing.

Customer:

Me too- I hate seeing her like this.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Tina,
How is Martha doing?

Rebecca