Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat (male) is around 8 years old & his meow has became more

My cat (male) is around 8 years old & his meow has became more high pitch & quiet,more like a squeak,over an hours observation i've also noticed him swallow a little more frequently ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Lee, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Billy.

It sounds like he may be suffering from laryngitis which is either going to be a primary condition or secondary to something else (the more common of the two). In general, any irritation to the throat which might cause inflammation and/or swelling of the structures in the back of the throat could be responsible for the symptoms you're seeing. The excessive swallowing is usually because of post-nasal drip.

Possible explanations include infections such as an Upper Respiratory Infection (aka Feline Flu), ingestion of irritating substances (such as grass), or inhalation of irritating vapors.

Unless he is showing other symptoms such as lethargy or disinterest in food or difficulty breathing, then a vet visit at this time is not necessary. I would just monitor the situation; his voice should return in about a week or so unless he starts to sneeze and/or cough. Then, it might take a little longer for his voice to return to normal.

Upper respiratory infections are commonly treated with antibiotics although they are frequently viral in nature; however, secondary bacterial infections can occur which is usually denoted by a green/yellow tint to any nasal or ocular discharge ...which is why antibiotics can be helpful.

In the meantime, I might feed him very soft food so that the throat doesn't become more irritated.
I wouldn't suggest any over the counter drugs at this point, especially since cats can be so sensitive to many them which might cause more harm.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Lee:
Thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with Billy. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.