Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

My cat has bouts of being sick but otherwise seems quite healthy.

My cat has bouts of being sick but otherwise seems quite healthy. Should i take her to the vet? She will be 14 this year.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 14 year old girl Ada who has been vomiting a bit recently. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today.

First and foremost, it is very important to work out if Ada is either vomiting or in fact regurgitating. If she gobbles her food down extra quickly and 'vomits' within 5 - 10 minutes of eating, then this is most likely a regurgitation problem rather than vomiting. Likewise if she 'vomits' between half and hour to an hour after eating and the vomitus looks like undigested food, it could quite well be regurgitation again particularly if it appears tubular and compact. Regurgitation occurs either because a cat is simply eating too quickly, or because there is a functional defect with the esophagus or food pipe.

If this is deterimined to defintiely be vomiting (your cat has abdominal effort and 'heaves' , plus this occurs sometime after finishing a meal), then there are quite a range of possibilites. Chronic renal failure, hyperthyroidism and diabetes can all cause chronic vomiting, particularly in older cats, and for this reason I would enourage a full blood and urine test for your girl now she is classified as 'geriatric'! Although less likely, she may have a condition known as IBD or inflammatory bowel disease or a food sensitivity, in which the immune system reacts to foreign proteins (i.e. any sort of food) in the gut, and resonds with vomiting +/- diarrhea.

I really would encourage you to get Ada checked with a Vet to try and diagnose the cause of her vomiting. Ideally your Vet would take a blood and urine sample to check her internal organs (and rule out diabetes, renal problems and hyperthyroidism) as well as carry out a full physical examination and possibly take either several x-rays or an ultrasound of the chest and abdomen of your girl if this turns in to an ongoing problem. Do also make sure Ada is up to date with deworming treatments won't you.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.