Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has just been diagnosed with diabetes, could you please

My cat has just been diagnosed with diabetes, could you please tell me how difficult this is to control and how expensive will the treatment be. My cat is fifteen years old what sort of life expectation can the treatment give her.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am sorry to hear that Twizzy has been diagnosed with diabetes. Now the challenge that this condition holds for owners can vary greatly. Some cats can be quickly stabilized on their insulin dose and maintain a stable state without much fuss (save for the twice daily injections). Others can be managed on special diabetic diet food alone (More Info --Dry/ Wet). That said, the majority of cats will take more stabilization than that and will require periodic blood sampling (glucose curves, fructosamine levels, etc) to gradually get them to the right dose of insulin. Once they are stable, the challenge and cost will reduce but it is not possible to truly say how difficult the road may be in stabilizing an individual like Twizzy, especially is she is elderly and is perhaps fighting any other health issues (ie kidney disease).

Since there is this wide variation in a cat's ability to be stabilized, this means the cost can fluctuate as well. Generally speaking, the initial diagnosis, the starting on insulin, and her follow up glucose curve or fructosamine, will be a few hundred pounds in cost. Further to this, it will depend on which blood testing your vet uses when checked, how often she needs this done (which will depend on how quickly she is controlled since we'd test ever few weeks when stabilizing then perhaps every 3-6 months once stable), and then the costs of the treatment herself (which will depend on how much insulin she requires). And once the cat has stabilized (and provided hasn't had any complications), then generally speaking, I usually find that once stable the costs tended to be ~£30 for insulin and needles, £30 or so for their diet (since I had them on the diabetic diet to reduce their insulin needs), and if I was checking bloods that month then another £50 or so. That said, if you are savy with medical management, you would be able to consider checking blood glucose curves at home and may not need the routine blood checks.

Overall, there is no single answer for the questions you have asked because we do see a lot of variation between how cats respond to treatment and how quickly they can be stabilized. In regards XXXXX XXXXX she will require you to essentially be her pancreas by giving two small injections a day. If you are comfortable with needles, administering the insulin and being vigilant regarding her appetite and health (since going off her food is serious and often means she needs to be seen by her vet to head off any risks); then once you get through the bumps in the initial stabilization you will likely do well together. But if this is going to be a struggle for you, then you may not wish to undertake the challenge. In any case, before you make any decisions, I do want you to have a read of an article (HERE) about your situation with a newly diagnosed diabetic. It will help answer all those burning questions and generally speaking the website it is on is a very good one for owners of diabetic kitties and a good place to start teaching yourself about her condition.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )