Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
58825837

My cay may have eaten one of my 5mg Diazepam tablets - it is

My cay may have eaten one of my 5mg Diazepam tablets - it is the middle of the nihgt. He is 8 pounds or 3.5 kg. It is only a MAY as I counted my tablets mut MIGHT have dropped one and he sleeps by me and I heard a crunching sound.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long ago did you hear the crunching sound?

How is he acting so far?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About 20 minutes, no change in behaviour so far

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Diazepam is a medication that can be given to cats. The normal dose is about 0.25 - 0.5 mg per pound therefore the normal dose that he could safely take would be about 2 to 4 mg every 12 hours. This means that if he did indeed ingest the entire 5 mg tablet it would be considered an overdose. The good news is that this medication is very safe in cats and even an overdose is unlikely to cause any severe side effects.

The most common side effects of an overdose of diazepam in cats is sedation, lethargy, vomiting, increase in appetite, and disorientation. Since he did only possibly ingest 5 mg I would monitor him very closely tonight for these side effects though honestly sedation would be the only side effect that is likely.

Overall, hopefully he did not ingest the Diazepam at all though the dose that he ingested is relatively safe and should not cause any harmful side effects other then sedation over the next 8-12 hours. If he does seem to be extremely sedated or quite disoriented then I wold recommend taking him to a vet though this would be highly unlikely with the dose he ingested.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!