Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Have had my 8 week old kitten for 36 hrs, he is urinating,

Customer Question

Have had my 8 week old kitten for 36 hrs, he is urinating, eating, drinking and playing. But as yet has not had a bowel movement, he is eating the same food he was given when he was with his mum, should I worry
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
To answer your question directly, not quite yet. Many cats normally defecate every 2-3 days although in his case I'd attribute his not defecating to his unfamiliarity and perhaps anxiety in his new environment. Make sure that he knows where his box is and that it's situated in a private and quiet area in which he feels safe. Have two (at least) boxes available to him so he need not travel far to use one. Fill the boxes with different litters in case he has a litter preference. One box should be covered in case he prefers that kind of privacy.

Most important, if he's not trying to defecate, it isn't likely that he's constipated and so no treatment is indicated at this time. As long as he continues to eat and drink, there's little reason for concern. What goes in must come out.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.