Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my cat seems to of lost his memory and is in some sort of

Customer Question

my cat seems to of lost his memory and is in some sort of trance
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Harvey. "Loss of memory" and "trance" indicate a change in mentation (mental status) seen in our elderly cats due to both intracranial (within the skull) and extracranial (outside the skull) disorders. The most common of the intracranial disorders is a brain tumor. Cognitive dysfunction (senility) is a consideration as well although not recognized as often in cats as in dogs. Extracranial disorders usually arise secondary to poorly functioning livers or kidneys.

The proper manner in which to proceed is to have Harvey's vet perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood/urine tests (a senior/geriatric diagnotic panel is most cost-effective) on Harvey. If nothing untoward is found, by the process of elimination, we would expect to find an intracranial disorder which would require more advanced testing - spinal tap and MRI, e.g. - both of which I would find inappropriate for a cat of Harvey's age considering that I would be looking for rather dire disorders with little or no treatment available for them. That testing, however, is available for the determined owner.

Please let me know how long Harvey has been as you've described and if any other symptoms are present - anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, pale mucous membranes of his gums and tongue, increased respiratory rate, e.g. I'll await your reply.