Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

It was very warm weather yesterday and my 13 week old kitten

Customer Question

It was very warm weather yesterday and my 13 week old kitten just slept all day and didn't eat or drink anything, I kept putting her fresh food and water/cat milk down.She seems the same again today so I have been spoon feeding her water and a little food. Am I doing the right thing?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am quite concerned about your wee lass. It has been warm and sleeping more is not abnormal but the lack of eating and drinking is.

Can you tell me if Angnes could have gotten into anything she should not have Ie bones, trash, human food, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any vomiting?

Any diarrhea?

Does she show any interest when you offer food or water?

Or is she just very lethargic and non-responsive?

When did she last pass urine or feces?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No she hasn't got into anything she shouldn't of done, she doesn't go out of the house yet, she has done a poo in her litter box this morning which was all normal, she doesn't even want to eat treats! I was just presuming she was a little dehydrated from yesterday causing her to be lethargic,that is why I have been spoon feeding her water, should I do this?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Amy,

First, even if she didn't drink yesterday, one would not assume that a kitten would become so dehydrated and thus lethargic that quickly. Instead her signs are more suggestive of something brewing that is likely inducing nausea (even without vomiting that is then putting her off taking food and water. And as we will know ourselves, when we are unwell we will often be lethargic and more inclined to sleep. So, I would not assume that the heat is to blame and instead advise close monitoring here.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX question about offering water, this is fine as long as she is not vomiting. That said, remember that the daily fluid intake requirement for cats is 48ml per kilogram of her body weight. So, a few spoonfuls is unlikely to be enough here and instead you will likely need to offer more over the course of the day. In doing this, you can also consider spoon or syringe feeding kitten food mixed with water (or paediatric rehydration solution) to ensure you are getting some nutrients into her as well as just fluids. And of course, do try to tempt her to eat with light diet options like boiled chicken, boiled white fish or scrambled egg to try to get her eating for you.

Further to this, if she is not drinking at all, you will want to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check her hydration status to make sure she is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. (They use a big dog but it makes it easier to see and the principle is just the same). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, since she is wee, then you do want to have her seen by a local vet before this becomes an additional issue for her.

Overall, offering water is fine but you will need to adjust the dose you are giving. Further to this, do not assume that this is just a reaction to the heat and instead do monitor her hydration closely as well as taking steps to get her eating again for you. If she doesn't pick up in the next 12-24 hours (since she is young) or she does have signs of dehydration already, then do consider following up with her vet to rule out or address any brewing infectious process.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thak you, her body doesn't show any signs of dehydration, she doesn't quite weigh a kilogram, about 970g, I will try scrambled eggs as I have tried everything else.Also she is kneading her paws on me a lot more then usual, almost constant.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to see that she isn't dehydrated and that this is not to blame for her signs after all. Her kneading will just be a sign that she feels unwell and is seeking comfort because of this. Therefore, do try the light diet and if she is only 0.97kg, then her fluid dose for the day is just 46.5mls or so.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So what do you think could be wrong with her, I have have just tried her with some scrambled eggs and she doesn't want them.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

As I said before, her appetite loss, lethargy, and reduced activity are highly suggestive of a brewing GI upset. At this age, they do have naive immune systems (like babies) and are very prone to picking up viral and bacterial infections, even if they do not yet go outside. Furthermore, with her dullness, it is quite possible that the underlying agent is causing a fever to make her feel even more poorly. And if she isn't eating even when you tempt her, it may be worth considering seeing her vet to rule out any sinister issues and just cover her with an antibiotic and medication to settle her stomach and get her eating for you before she can run the risk of dehydration or further complications.

All the best,

Dr. B.