Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I feed stray cat whos owner passed away. I noticed he has bold

Customer Question

I feed stray cat whos owner passed away. I noticed he has bold patches on his chick and neck. Very concern because he smells like a pig. Cant take him to the vet because he could bite me. I have my own cat, 25years old who stay only in-doors. She was feral cat adopted by me and she is still going strong. She has no contact with stray cat who slips in the chair now in my living room. How can I help him?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Blacky has a staoh infection in these areas that is causing this skin infection and the odor. The staph bacteria is normal flora on their skin and when it over grow, it causes this hair loss and odor. The best way to treat this, if you can get near Blackie is to apply Betadine to this area every 6 hrs. This can be purchased over the counter at the chemist and will dry out this area so teh bacteria cannot grow. This is a common issue in some older cats and is called Feline Acne when on the chin.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta