Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat was vomiting and looking sad and depressed. We took

Customer Question

My cat was vomiting and looking sad and depressed. We took him to the vet who gave him an antibiotic injection and an anti sickness injection. 24 hours later he was still the same and had not eaten all day so we returned to the Vet. He was given an appetite boost injection but 5 hours later he is still not eating or drinking and is still very quiet. I am very concerned, what would you recommend?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Skipper is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did your vet do any testing like blood work or xrays?
2- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, they took a blood sample and said all was OK there. They also took temperature and said it was just a little high. About half an hour ago he ate a few Dreamies treats (the only thing in past 24 hours) however, he has again just vomited these up with a lot of fluid.

Should I stop him eating anything? I'm concerned he is also dehydrated.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- How much does he weigh?
2- Can you re-check his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry but I don't have a thermometer or his weight but he is a good sized neutered Tom of 11 months.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Julie, vomiting and lethargy can be caused by many different conditions. If the initial blood test was not diagnostic the next step is to do xrays of the abdominal cavity. In a young cat like Skipper I would be concern about ingestion of a foreign body. Highly recommend having him re-checked by family veterinarian for xrays. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-10 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. If he continues to vomit he will become dehydrated.
3- After 8-10 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for xrays. In addition, vet can start him on IV fluids and supportive care until they determine the exact underlying cause of the vomiting and lethargy.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for this. Yes, I will request an X-ray and take foodstuffs away this evening and follow your diet suggestion.

Best regards

Julie

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Julie.