Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi my cat is dribbling and lathargic

Customer Question

Hi my cat is dribbling and lathargic
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I suspect that many vets - including myself - were reluctant to respond to you for fear that we couldn't be truly informative for you. Dribbling (excessive salivation) and lethargy aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder in cats but does suggest oral discomfort or gastrointestinal distress and nausea.

Oral pain can arise from trauma, stomatitis (a general inflammation of the oral cavity), and dental disorders. Your vet would need to carefully examine inside your cat's oral cavity for these lesions. Gastrointestinal distress can arise from too many disorders to list in this venue but the fact that she continues to eat is a good prognostic sign.

How long has she been symptomatic? Is there a history of an inappropriate ingestion - chewing on plants, e.g? Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.