Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

my cat is passing blood in stools but still has a good app

my cat is passing blood in stools but still has a good appetite
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Pickles been showing blood in her feces?
How much?

Is it with every bowel movement or intermittently?

Does she ever drip blood at other times?

Are her feces normal or loose?

Has a fecal sample been checked?
An ultrasound or xray done?

How is she otherwise?
Drinking the same? Not losing weight?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

One more quetion for you Chris, did you mean that she was on destolit rather then destrol?

Does she have an existing liver issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

destrol prescribed for liver problems

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

destrol

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Chris,

Destolit is the drug we use for liver support in cats. Destrol is a synthetic nonsteroidal estrogen used for menopause in humans. So, I would ask you to double check that.

As well can you answer the questions I asked above those last ones about her drug?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is destrol

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

That is interesting and would be something to discuss with Pickles's vet.

Anyway, lets discuss the issue at hand. The reason for my line of questioning is because when we see fresh blood in the feces it is often arising from the lower colon. Common reasons for this is anal gland disease (though often we will also see a swelling to the side of the rectum or even a wee wound if the gland has ruptured --less likely here), parasitic infection (ie whipworms) and with inflammation/infection of the colon (colitis). Less common causes, though considerations at her age and with her pre-existing liver issues, we can also see this with rectal masses (tumors but also ulcerated polyps), or if the liver is failing to produce clotting factors such that it is leading to inappropriate bleeds.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX approach here, you can choose to start ruling out those more treatable conditions. To start, you may consider worming to remove the concern of parasitic causes. Ideally, you want to use a good quality wormer that will cover against whipworms. Examples would be Panacur, Drontal or Milbemaxas it will cover all the worms in question and help rule them out as the cause of this colonic bleeding. These are available over the counter at the vets, pet stores, and some pharmacies. Do make sure you have an idea of her weight before purchasing, so you make sure to get the right dose for her size.

As well, if we have an inflammatory colitis (which can be triggered by stress or being unwell with her liver) then this can sometimes be settled with alight/easily digestible diet. (Though bacterial induced colitis will often require antibiotic treatment). Examples of bland diets would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (avoid the ones with garlic or onion powders). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. We usually will try them on the diet for a week until signs settle, and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

If you try the above and this doesn't settle in the next 24-48 hours, then you would want to want to follow up with her vet to tackle our other concerns. If possible, consider bringing in a fecal sample with you for evaluation. The vet will be able to examine your lass, assess her hydration, and check his anal glands to determine the root of the problem (ie infection, impaction, etc). Furthermore, if bacterial colitis is suspected, the fecal sample can be sent to the lab for evaluation to identify the agent responsible and what treatment will be effective to clear it. If their exam suggests the presents of a colonic mass or that her clotting may be an issue, they can advise you on further tests (ie ultrasound for tumors or blood sample to check her clotting factors if her liver is thought to be behind this).

So, do rule out the parasitic differential by treating for worms today and trial your wee one with a easily digestible diet for inflammatory colitis. But if that doesn't settle or you do notice any peri-rectal swelling, bleeds not associated with feces or this does not settle then we’d want a recheck with her vet to make sure nothing more sinister afoot.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.