Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

my tom cat Bubu is constipated now for two weeks. One month

Customer Question

my tom cat Bubu is constipated now for two weeks. One month ago my husband noticed some blood in his stools. Just once ! After this he was still having his poo every 2 days. Two weeks ago he start having serious problems-for almost one week he didn't poo.I went to the vet , he told me does not look constipated...they gave him Peridale capsule...because the vet gave Bubu a rectal examination, the animal made his poo -was very hard-like stones ! I forget to mention that I was feeding him with Royal Canin- dry food ( and Bubu is neutred ).After the consultation I changed with wet food and keep giving him the pills.Nothing again for another 5 days.I went back to the surgery, Bubu received de-wormer and Katalax. After 2 days, he made a bit, only after I was massaging his tummy and put some olive oil in his bumb with a seringe. Anyway, he looks ill, scruffy...they are 3 days now and no poo...What should I do ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Bubu!

Now recurrent constipation in cats often has an underlying reason, which can be health based (ie conditions causing dehydration, GI disease, or partial obstruction). Therefore, if this is becoming a recurrent issue for him, then you do want to consider ringing his vet when they are open to discuss what underlying issues they may suspect given their previous examination. Depending on their findings, they may be able to advise you of testing (ie ultrasound, scoping, xray, etc) to pinpoint the trigger for his signs so that you can get this under control for him.

Otherwise, if you haven't seen feces for over 72 hours, then we do want to get things moving as quickly as possible. To do so, I would suggest that you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose (More Info/Dose) or mineral oil/liquid paraffin from the pharmacy. These need to be given orally but ideally should be given in food to avoid complications (ie aspiration) of giving directly. These should help get those hard feces moving.

Furthermore, alongside his Peridale you can add canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil/Benefiber to his food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water).You also want to encourage Bubu to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he have fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if he won’t drink.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal output. I would advise trying the above measures, but if you aren't seeing feces in the next 24 hours, or your cat begins to vomit or worsens, then you will want his vet to reassess him. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if he doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then he may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation) and further work-up to determine te trigger for his issues so that you can address this effectively for your lad.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.Just let me know where I an find canned pumpkin Metamucil/ Benefiber, paraffin.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome, Christina.

The liquid paraffin should be available at any chemist (since it is used for constipated people too), and the other two will likely be available at the grocery store (benefiber is usually in the health aisle and if your local shop carries tinned pumpkin then it tends to be in the canned fruit aisle or the international/American aisle).

Take care,
Dr. B.