Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Why would recently vaccinated kittens at 9 weeks old develop

Why would recently vaccinated kittens at 9 weeks old develop within 10 days of their jab symptoms of herpes 1? Cough, conjunctivitis, runny nose? Isn't the vaccine suppose to protect them? Is that a possible reaction to the vaccine? What would be their immunological status now? Will they get worse at jab two or carriers? Will antibiotics help them for now?

Already Tried:
Clinagel vet, synulox oral. Keep eyes cleen.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee ones' situation, and wanted to help.

First, just as with people getting the flu vaccine, animals can develop a mild version of of the infectious diseases they are vaccinated for after vaccination. The reason is because a vaccine is not just a protective liquid, instead its actually a modified/weakened version of the viruses we are trying to protect them from. We give weakened virus so that the immune system can kill it, process it, and develop long term immunity to that virus. So, when it meets he real virus out in the world, it can response quickly and thus limit the diseases infectious potential on the body.

Now with kittens that have been vaccinated and then developed signs 10 days later,one has to consider it could be a vaccine reaction but it could also be due to an already established infection rearing its head because the immune forces have been distracted by the vaccine. And to be honest, the latter is much more likely and usually the trigger for situations like this (and they probably got it from mum well before you had any chance to protect them).

Otherwise, it is worth noting that unless you have had them tested, you cannot be completely sure that this is not calicivirus. As well, these signs can also be seen with Chlamydophila felis and Bordatella (though these weren't vaccinated for and would need to have been infecting around the time of the vaccine). And the reason why knowing that does make some difference is in regards XXXXX XXXXX question about carrier status. Herpes is a lifelong infection, so if they have it now (or had it before), they always will. Often the virus is latent and causes no trouble but at moments when the immune system is taxed, we can see it rear its head to cause signs. The others have limited infection potential and do not tend to be life long.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX immune status, once they are over this, they will likely have an even better antibody level established. So, while we don't like to fight the natural infection if we can help it, doing so can actually lead to better immunity in the long rung.

Finally in regards XXXXX XXXXX at this stage, you won't vaccinate them with their second jab until this is clear. The reason is because the immune system is fighting this off just now and will be too bust to handle us throwing another issue at it. So, this needs to be settled, then they can have their vaccination. And since the have just fought this flu agent, its likely they won't flare up again with a second jab. So, keep up on the supportive care and antibiotics (which will help with those 2 bacterial I noted and any secondary bacterial agents) and once they have cleared the infection, then you can think about that 2nd jab.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.