Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi, I gave my cat a flea treatment last week and had noticed

Customer Question

Hi, I gave my cat a flea treatment last week and had noticed that she has been scratching and licking the area more than usual. I noticed tonight that she now has a bald patch in that particular area. She won't let me close enough to take a look but from what I can see it looks red and rather soare
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Samantha, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Bow hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

It sounds as if she's having a topical reaction to the flea treatment you used. While most cats (and dogs) tolerate these products just fine, there are some who will behave as you describe: itching with hair loss where the product comes in contact with the skin.

Hopefully, she'll let you treat her as outlined below although when presented with these cases in my practice, I tend to treat them with steroids.

1. Gently clean the spot twice a day with very dilute Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea).
2. Then apply over the counter cortisone cream or ointment. Hopefully, she won't be able to reach the spot with her tongue since we wouldn't want her to ingest the ointment. Cats can be sensitive to many over the counter drugs so I wouldn't want to cause her any more problems.
3. You can give her over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet for a 10 lb cat twice a day. Sedation is a common side effect though.
I'm not sure if you'll be able to pill her but you could try crushing the pill and mixing it with a small amount of really smelly canned cat food or tuna.

And, I know you plan to avoid this particular product in the future since she's likely to have a similar reaction if you use it again.

I hope this helps; again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Samantha,

I’m just following up on our conversation about Bow. How is he doing? Deb