Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Hi, my beautiful 1 year old male tabby cat has just been neutered

Customer Question

Hi, my beautiful 1 year old male tabby cat has just been neutered today and took a long time to come around from the general anaesthetic. He had a short apnoeic episode lasting a few seconds towards the end of the surgery which the vet thinks is likely to be an adverse drug reaction. Will he still remember me when I come to pick him up later this evening? I love him so much he is so affectionate to us and I really want him to remember who I am. Thanks. (please be honest in your answer though!!!)
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon,

By all means, Rolo will remember you. He may feel a bit groggy, disoriented, and confused but a general anesthesia won't steal his memories of who you are (just as a GA in people doesn't make them forget). A wee moment of apnea is just a brief episode where he held his breath longer then he should have, and this will have no amnesia effects. So, as long as he has come around well now and is back to normal, then we'd expect him to know who you are and be ready for you to take him back home to familiar surroundings.

Take care,
Dr. B.