Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Canaural ear drops - I have delivered too much in my first

Canaural ear drops - I have delivered too much in my first treatment of my cat; it is so hard to get 'drops' out. Is there likely to be any issue from this?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Pilchard.
Good news and small warning.

The fact that you put extra medication in the ear canal should not result in any "extra" complication for Pilchard. So, not worried that you delivered too much.

However, cats ear drums can be a bit sensitive. So, you can always run in to a complication with ear medications in cats, but that is with many ear products, not just Canaural.

So, still keep an eye out for any head tilting, awkward back and forth eye movements (nystagmus) or change in hearing. That would warrant getting in to the vet for an immediate recheck evaluation.

But, delivering a bit more than intended should not result in any additional risk.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I forgot to massage in and he shook his head afterwards so can I assume that a lot of the excess may have been removed anyway? I am worried because only this week his brother died through kidney infection (he also had a heart problem for a few years) so Pilchard is now even more precious to us.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Completely understand. But, trying to flush out the ear with anything, very well could actually create more of a problem. So, at this point, if no complication has resulted, I would do nothing different, but monitor for the issues I mentioned like head tilting, awkward eye movements, or hearing loss.
Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy