Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat has a watery eye and I suspect a slight infection. Would

My cat has a watery eye, no swelling or redness. I suspect a slight infection. Would I be able to use a mild antiseptic eye drop that I use myself?

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Kay, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Magick hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. How long has this problem been present?
2. Is there a color to the discharge?
3. Any squinting or keeping the eye closed?
4. Any sneezing or runny nose?
5. What is the name of the product you want to use in her eyes?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Deb,

There's no colour to the discharge and he isn't squinting, keeping his eye closed or sneezing. I noticed it last night and my vet is unavailable for advice. The product I have is a French one called Sedacollyre. It's made up of sodium hydrogenphosphate, dodecahydrate, potassium yhdrogenphospahte and purified water.I obviously don't want to hurt him but would like to give him a bit of relief if I can.

Kay

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Kay:
Thanks so much for the additional information.

The fact that the discharge is clear and he's not acting otherwise bothered by it is good. It's possible that he just has a mild irritation; if it were infected, I'd expect the discharge to have a green or yellow color.

I tried to research this ophthalmic product on a veterinary based website with no success. There are many human medications which would be perfectly acceptable to use in a cat's eye but since I can't find verification that this one would be non-harmful, I'd be hesitant to use it.
Cats can be very sensitive to many human medications and I wouldn't want to run the risk of an adverse reaction.

An alternative might be over the counter artificial tears or saline drops to help flush out the eye. These will be safe and certainly shouldn't cause any reactions.
If he has only a mild irritation (for whatever reason) and he doesn't make it worse by rubbing, then you may see resolution within just a few days.

Of course, if the situation changes (the discharge develops a color, he starts to rub, the eye becomes red or inflamed), then a vet visit may be prudent.
I hope this helps, Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX some hypermelose so I'll use that and see if it eases for him.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Kay:
You're more than welcome.

Good luck; I hope this issues resolves quickly. Regards, Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Kay:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, please keep me posted about Magick if you have a chance; I'd like to know how she does.

Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Best of luck with her. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the request for additional information