What is a transudate?
This is so hard to hear this because I look at her and she seems mostly healthy, she's not particularly lethargic, you can feel her bones a little but cannot see them, she still purrs when I cuddle her, she can jump up on the furniture... and yet it appears I should be saying my goodbyes?
It's an impossible decision to make, one part of me feels I should accept I am losing her and just keep her home where she feels safe and can live out the rest of her days happy... another part feels that doing that would be giving up on her and that she needs me to give her a fighting chance.
I think I will take her to the vet, it breaks my heart to leave her there but maybe with test results the worst case scenario is that we can give her the medication she needs to keep her comfortable at least - then I can say I have done my best for her.
Are you saying that the cause would definitely be cancerous and the chances of a cure from that are near nil... or is there a very small chance that the cause could be non cancerous and therefore more easily treatable?
Do you think I am doing the right thing by sending her in for more tests, or is it quite a selfish thing to do?
Sorry to ask so many questions, it's just me, and I have nobody else to help me make this decision... it's hard to know at what point you should give up on your best friend & let them go.
vet but it's really useful to me to have a second opinion. Thank you also for being so frank with me, if I'm too optimistic about things I take the blows much harder, I'd much rather know how it is so that I can prepare myself to some degree.
I took Mollie back today and left her for tests. I've realised I did not take in everything I was being told on Saturday (I was a bit in shock considering I thought she was recovering well). He was talking about this 'mass' inside of her, which I had forgotten about, and how part of the tests would include a biopsy, which would mean an operation, and if they were able to they will remove the whole thing, they'll take that call during the operation.
Today she had blood tests (normal) and x-rays (chest normal, stomach inconclusive - too much fluid to see). She was also able to eat a bit more food today (in fact at 5am she woke me up with the sound of her raiding the kitchen for food - I shot out of bed and fed her, just excited that she wanted something).
Although I accept there is a general risk with anaesthetic anyway, I have instructed the vet not to go ahead with the biopsy tomorrow if her health deteriorates to such an extent that the risk would be far too high... but with her chest x-ray results and her appetite today at the moment she's good to go.
This is stretching me financially but I have really tried not to take that into account when making decisions. Today I have been putting a load of stuff on Ebay!
What I would like to know is: a) Are there questions that I should be asking with regard to the operation, in order to find out the credentials of the person doing the operation (will it be the vet himself? Do vet's act as both GP and surgeon?) b) Is this operation a little premature? I'm curious to know how he can be so sure that there is a mass inside her stomach when he said it was hard to even feel her organs... I had envisaged a series of tests before moving into an operation... I don't think he's even taken a fluid sample (but again, there was a lot to take in)
Many thanks Holly