Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

A much loved cat has turned so vicious and savage and it wont

A much loved cat has turned so vicious and savage and it won't allow its owners back indoors. What can you suggest please?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

This is a difficult situation, indeed. I would go to a local pet store and purchase some Feliway spray:

http://www.feliway.com/uk/What-is-Feliway-and-where-to-buy

It is a pheromone spray that can calm and soothe cats. You can open the door a tiny bit and spray the Feliway in the direction of the cat and then wait ten minutes or so and try to enter again. If the cat has become extremely aggressive, there may be no solution that involves keeping the cat, but this will help you get back into the boat so they can assess the behavior. I would purchase a Feliway diffuser and plug it into a wall outlet, and then go from there. The vet may be able to prescribe chewable Xanax, but would likely need to see the cat first. I would also get one of those "fishing pole" type cat toys and put that through the door first to direct attention away from the person entering and see if that helps. Wear heavy pants, and ignore the cat upon entering and continue to ignore the cat for a while until he settles down.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.