Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat is urinating a lot and drinking more water than she

My cat is urinating a lot and drinking more water than she used to. She is 17 and has lost weight. Could this be diabetes?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, you are very right in suspecting that Pepsi could have diabetes. Drinking more water than usual and weight loss are very common symptoms found in patients with diabetes. There are other conditions however with similar symptoms like: Kidney disease, hyperthyroidism and even cancer. To determine the exact underlying cause Pepsi will need to have a blood test (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test by family veterinarian. Treatment will be based on examination and test results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!