Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
58825837

Our Siberian is not well. She has been in her basket since

Our Siberian is not well. She has been in her basket since yesterday morning and eaten and drank nothing. She just sleeps all the time. When stroked she tries to purr but it is very chesty and does not move or opens her eyes. Her nose is warm.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Did your vet check any blood work on Lanie?

Is Lanie vomiting or having any diarrhea?

Is she coughing or sneezing?

What did your vet suspect that was causing her lethargy?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did not do any bloods. No vomiting or diarhea she is very chesty and just sleeps in her basket .tries to purr but very chesty. Did not eat anything tonight. Nothing to drink all day
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Does Lanie go outside?

Does she have any discharge in or around her nose?

Did you give her the antibiotic today?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She does go outside . No discharge around the nose. Just laying there and very sleepy and chesty. Won't eat or drink. She ate a small frog a couple of days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that Lanie is not feeling well and is not eating or drinking. Her symptoms are concerning especially since she has not drank anything all day. My biggest concern would be that she is getting dehydrated. Cats can also get more sick if they do not eat for 3-4 days straight. Without examining her giving you and exact diagnosis is going to be difficult though she sounds like she could have developed a respiratory infection most commonly caused be either bacterial pneumonia or a virus. Other potential causes would be asthma or heart disease. I would not suspect that the frog is related as most illnesses that come from frogs would cause vomiting or neurologic symptoms.

At this point, if you have not started the antibiotic then I would recommend starting it right away. For a respiratory infection this should help out quite a bit. If you have already started the antibiotic and she is not doing any better then I would recommend asking your vet to check some blood work on her and possibly a chest x-ray to get a more exact diagnosis. Organ disorders such as kidney or liver disease are possible causes also though these do not usually cause the chesty symptoms you are reporting.

Other then getting an exact diagnosis, the most important recommendation I can give you would be to find a way to get her to drink and eat. I would try to use a oral syringe to give her some water or some low sodium chicken broth. You can give her about 5-10 cc every 30-60 minutes to try to rehydrate her. You can also try to see if she will drink the chicken broth so that you do not have to use the syringe.

Foods that you can try that are safe and may stimulate her appetite would be boiled pieces of any meat such as chicken, beef, lamb, or even baked fish. You can also try some cottage cheese, a scrambled egg, or even some meat flavored baby food (no onion or garlic though).

Overall, I would definitely contact your vet if the antibiotic is not helping as she cannot go too many more days without eating anything as she could get much more sick.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question.
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: DVM - 13 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.