Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Took our male cat to the vet today as he was limping on his

Customer Question

Took our male cat to the vet today as he was limping on his back paw. After checking, the vet said there were no fractures, and he may've 'strained some muscles'. However after getting him home, our usually active outdoor cat has made no attempt to go outside, he has been sitting very still, and has taken to hiding under the bath where we can't get to him. He is now also off his food and water. The vet did give him a painkiller. Any idea what could be wrong with him please? We're very worried about him.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. By the principle of Occam's Razor I would attribute Mordin's behavior to the painkiller that was administered to him. Do you recall what it was? We're limited to what we can give cats so I expect that it was a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as meloxicam or robenacoxib or a narcotic such as tramadol or buprenorphine. A narocotic is most likely to cause what you're seeing.

I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply- the medication given to him is Onisor, robenacoxib

Thank you. I can't attribute Mordin's behavior to receiving robenacoxib. That NSAID should relieve any anxiety caused by pain. I must assume that his behavior reflects either his altercation outside which precipitated his lameness - he may now be fearful of a roaming cat, e.g. - or it reflects his visit to his vet which can be quite unsettling for some cats. Mordin's hiding under the bath is "escape" behavior which should abate as soon as Mordin feels comfortable in his environment once again.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That sounds like Mordin :) He is a very nervous cat, especially around other humans except myself and my wife, at the vets yesterday he was kept in a carrier for over 2hrs, with some very lively dogs in the waiting room, he wet himself as well which is unheard of for him, I just checked on him under the bath, he does look scared.

Oh my, yes. There's every reason for him to be so stressed presently. Let him come out at his own good time. Feeding, watering, and another litter box close to where he has sequestered himself would be a nice gesture.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has however been off his food and water. Would this be normal for a little guy in his situation?

Yes, that's consistent with a stressed cat. Hunger's a good motivator for behavior change, however.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Mordin, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After taking him back to the vet, we found it wasn't a sprain, he had infact got an absess, which is now being treated with anti biotics and anti flammitry. He is getting back to himself :)

Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to do so.

My best to Mordin!

Please disregard the info request.