Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 14 yr old cat has an eye infection. He has had it for nearly

Customer Question

My 14 yr old cat has an eye infection. He has had it for nearly 2 months. The eye itself does not seem infected but the lids are swollen, his third eye is apparent and he has a lot of clear tears and sometimes thick greyish film. He has had a course of chloramphenicol followed by maxi troll eyedrops neither seem to do any good. He has a flea allergy and I am sure he has had other creatures ..mites that have effected him. The only product for these that work on him is stronghold. In desperation today I bought some golden eye .. Dibrompropamidine isetionate and applied.. Is this in anyway harmful to him??
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
In the great majority of cases, eyes that don't respond to either antibiotics (chloramphenicol) or steroids (dexamethasone) are infected with the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1). In most cases cats will remiss from FHV-1 within 3 weeks but persistent infection as you've described in your cat indicates instituting an antiviral ophthalmic drop such as cydofovir and possibly a systemic antiviral such as famcyclovir. Dibrompropamidine is an antiseptic/disinfectant with antibacterial activity but not antiviral activity. It shouldn't be harmful to him, however.

Because of the lack of testing of this antiseptic in cats and expected lack of efficacy, I wouldn't administer it to your cat but, instead, discuss the above therapy with his vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has been tested for herpes virus and thyroid and both were fine.
Thank you for the additional information. Was herpes testing done by PCR, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is PCR?
Polymerase chain reaction - a DNA-based test which is now the gold standard for detecting the presence of FHV-1 and other ocular pathogens. The reason I'm harping on FHV-1 is that surface ocular disease is common in cats and, in contrast to dogs, is almost always infectious in origin. The most commonly implicated agents are FHV-1 - a primary conjunctival and, to a lesser extent, corneal pathogen - and Chlamydophila felis - a bacterial pathogen of the conjunctiva but not the cornea. Other bacteria such as Mycoplasma species and Bordetella bronchiseptica are also conjunctival but not corneal pathogens.

The basic philosophical approach to feline surface ocular disease, then, is that corneal disease should be presumed infectious and likely caused by FHV-1, and conjunctivitis shoud be assumed to be caused by FHV-1 or Chylamydophila felis until proven otherwise. If chloramphenicol has failed, Chylamydophila felis is unlikely to be responsible for your cat's conjunctivitis. The preferred drug when addressing Chylamydophila felis is systemically administered doxycycline, however, and so if PCR testing can't be done, presumptive therapy with doxycycline is reasonable.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.