Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

HOW CAN I ADMINISTER WORM TAB WITHOUT GETTING

Customer Question

HOW CAN I ADMINISTER WORM TAB WITHOUT GETTING CLAWED
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, if you need to worm Smudger and want to save yourself from the fuss of tableting her, I would note that you could consider treating her with a good quality worming spot-on like Advocate (More Info). It just goes on the back of the neck and will cover all the GI worms, fleas, and even does lice and ear mites. The only one it doesn't cover is tapeworms, but if you are treating again fleas (since swallowing infected fleas is how they catch tapeworms), then that should be a low risk issue anyway. This is something your vet can dispense, as long as they have a recent rate for your lass. And this would save you from having to force tablets down her throat.

Otherwise, if she is too smart to eat crushed tablets, you can consider giving hre her wormer tablet in a Pill Pocket (example). Many cats will accept their tablets in these treats, so its worth a try for her. If she still refuses, then I would highly suggest a wee investment in a "pilling gun". (example). This can be purchased in most pet stores and vets practices. They allow you to give the tablet without having to put your fingers in her mouth. And if she tries to claw you when doing this, just make sure to wrap her up in a towel (like a kitty burrito) to avoid those talons.

Finally, if Smudger doesn't need daily tablets and just the periodic wormer, you can always take her into the vets and have them pill her. Often when cats are in for boosters, owners will ask me to worm their cats for them. So, you can choose to safe yourself from the wrestle and have your vet give her the tablet while she is visiting. Otherwise, if she isn't due a booster, you can still take her in for a nurse appointment. Often for no charge, the nurse will give the naughty kitty their worming tablet and safe you the fuss. So, too would be an option to get a wormer into Smudger and save you from a battle with her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is milk or cream bad for my cat

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Gerry,

I saw your posted question a few minutes ago, and actually answered it over HERE.
All the best,
Dr. B.