Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

hi there my cat started to struggle to walk on the back legs

Customer Question

hi there my cat started to struggle to walk on the back legs then all of a sudden he is struggling to walk at all, I have just noticed some blood around his penis. hes an indoor cat who is very jumpy and scarce of anything/person. usually he is a very active fast cat and its seem he's either too drained or in to much pain to move
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Idiopathic cystitis should be considered in any male cat demonstrating blood around his penis. This inflammatory condition of the bladder and urethra can be life threatening because the inflamed bladder can produce copious amounts of mucus and grit which can then obstruct a male cat's urethra producing the classic "blocked cat". When a cat can't urinate for as little as 36 hours, they'll go into renal failure.

Other symptoms of being blocked include licking the genitals excessively and multiple visits to the litter box but little or no urine produced (stranguria). I recommend that Tiggs see his vet at your earliest convenience. His behavior suggests that he's already blocked, has a greatly distended bladder and is in considerable pain.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

May I have an update on Tiggs, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much. We took him to vets soon as possible and it was lucky we did. He does have a blocked bladder and is now on the mend thanks to your advice

Thank goodness. I appreciate your letting me know. My best to Tiggs!

Please disregard the info request.