Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

i have a 2 year old tom who up till 2/3 days agao was a good

i have a 2 year old tom who up till 2/3 days agao was a good feeder. he has not eaten hardly sat all since then. he is a prolific hunter and obviously he must consume some of what he catches. my vet could not find anything particularly wrong with him yesterday. he is suggesting x ray and bloods.could his hunting be having an adverse effect on his appetite. he has gone from 5 kgs to 4.5 kgs in a short time. any ideas how to encourage him to eat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Hector has lost his appetite and a significant amount of weight in such a short time.

A loss of appetite can be related to eating something he should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland) internal organ failure, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Because he hasn't eaten in several days and is losing so much weight I am very concerned about him. If he isn't drinking too he will quickly become dehydrated and as his liver breaks down fats for energy to live he may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis.

If he goes outdoors exposure to infections, toxins and eating things he should not are real concerns.

Ideally he would see his veterinarian if this goes on for another 24 hours for diagnostic testing. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate him and know best how to treat him.
In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate him.

There are some things you can try at home today.
At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 4 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 4 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help him feel better so that she will eat.

You can use a medicine syringe to try and force water into him orally.
A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled, plain, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and more palatable.

If he continues to not eat he should see his veterinarian for the diagnostic testing and intravenous fluids and supportive care. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just to let you know treatment for hector's problem has taken a back seat. he is recovering at the moment from a traffic accident in which his back leg was broken quite badly. he has had surgery to repair the break with a plate and pins and is now home recuperating in a cage where he will have to stay for 6 weeks. again thank you for your advice. we will have to pick it up again later.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear that Hector was hit by a car and suffered a complicated fracture. That will of course take a front seat now as far as treatment goes. Hopefully he eats well so he can heal properly and doesn't continue his weight loss slide. Please let me know how things go for him, Dr. Kara.