Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I treated my 14 yr old cat with Fleavox spot-on a week ago

Customer Question

I treated my 14 yr old cat with Fleavox spot-on a week ago and he's still scratching at live fleas. May not have got all the liquid in the right place - can I repeat the treatment?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now as long as you got the liquid on Verbal last week and he didn't lick it off, then you likely didn't apply it wrong. Instead, I'd be a wee bit concerned that if you are still seeing fleas that they are resistant to the Fipronil in this product. I am very sad to say but we are seeing increased flea resistance to this drug (even in Frontline).

So, in this situation, we wouldn't want to repeat any treatment for another week (a 2 week minimum). But when you do, I would advise considering an alternative product like Advocate, Advantage II, or Activyl to ensure the best success of settling this infestation for him.

In the meantime, you can flea comb him and dunk those creepy crawlies in Fairy liquid to kill them. If Verbal is a cat that can be bathed, you can consider a flea shampoo to get you through the next few days. Furthermore, if he is really scratching due to allergies to the flea saliva, then you can consider treating him with Piriton to block the allergic skin irritation (ie 1-2mg or 1/4 – 1/2 tablet of a 4mg Piriton tablet up to twice daily). Do note that while anti-histamines will break that itchiness cycle and give his skin the chance it needs to settle, it can make kitties drowsy. Therefore, we always keep the dose low and if he were to be drowsy on this, then we'd reduce the dose to once daily for him. And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your kitty has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet.

Finally just since there may be fleas in your house (since they love to jump off cats and lay eggs in the soft furnishings), I would note that if you do treat your house that you will want to use a flea product that contains Insect Growth Regulator (IGR). The reason is because IGR will stop flea eggs and flea larvae from becoming adults and this will stop them before they get to the stage of nibbling on the members of your household.

So, in this case, I am more suspicious that the Flevox isn't working then you have done something wrong. But since you applied this only a week ago, it is best to wait one more week before applying another treatment of this or an alternative that they may be more sensitive to.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - I'll try again in a week. TL

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome, Denis.

Hopefully, that next dose will get rid of those fleas for wee Verbal.

All the best,

Dr. B.