Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is 3 years old, a bengal X and very timid. He was dumped

Customer Question

My cat is 3 years old, a bengal X and very timid. He was dumped in my garden when he was 6 months old. For the last 8 months he has been living in my property with my tenants. They are now moving out. My adjacent neigbour has two cats but is prepared to try rehousing Goa. Would this be the worse thing I could do for him. I intend to move back into the house for a month before he may be moved. Is there any advice you can give me.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has Goa met the neighbors cats?

How does he get on with them?

Does he have any history with other cats? How was he with them?

Are you not keen to have him live with you (since remaining in the familiar house may be less traumatic for him)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has met the two cats when they have come into my garden but he chases them away. They are bother and sister or from the same litter. I have to rent out my house and the new tenants have a dog. I am worried that Goa will keep trying to return home but will then get frightened of the dog. He has had no contact with other cats in a house inviroment but is an outside cat. I am moving to a flat, it is possible to bring him but the access is poor and the lease isn't very cat friendly.

About to go and see the neighbours hence the urgency. Many thanks.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Deborah,

That is a wee sticky situation for Goa and it doesn't sound like any of the potential options are going to be a particularly good fit for him.

Now in regards to the neighbor situation, I am quite concerned that if Goa is a timid Bengal (which tend to be a fairly territorial breed) that already chases the neighbor's cats from his "turf" that their living together would be a real uphill challenge. The neighbor's cats would very likely be distressed that he is in their territory and it is quite likely with "Goa's house" so near he would just try to move back in there (and put himself at risk with the dog). Had he happened to get along with the neighbor's cats it would be a different story but from the sounds of it this would be a recipe for disaster. And I would truly be concerned that you would get a call in a few weeks about his driving the other cats from the house or his relocating somewhere else to establish his own territory.

That said, the alternative is not ideal either. As you have noted, he is an young cat in his prime and is an outside cat. Therefore, he would likely struggle with a change to indoor life even if you did take him with you. I find that young cats accustomed to living outdoors do not make that transition well (we often see inappropriate elimination issues or overgrooming due to distress). If he was an old man, we may have some success but again Goa doesn't sound like an idea candidate.

Therefore, with all this in mind, I do think it may be worth continuing the hunt to get him placed in a home on his own where he can settle and establish an outside territory (and go inside of course). You noted speaking to the vets, but it may be worth seeing if they have any connections to local rescues (we do at our practice and they are our go-to people for rehoming cases like this). Otherwise, if you haven't already, do consider contacting Cat's Protection (HERE). Furthermore, here is a wee link via Cat Chat that you can use to see what rescues and shelters may be around you (HERE).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )