Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 14 year old cat had surgery on the end of his tail 10 weeks

My 14 year old cat had surgery on the end of his tail 10 weeks ago following a dog bite. He has required three courses of antibiotics and finally it seemed to be heeling but yesterday he bit the end of his tail again causing it to bleed. the tail end is very matted where the new hair has grown in and it it seems this is the problem. He is very stressed when i touch his tail but I can see there is now a new scab forming . How can I help him?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This is such a frustrating area to get to heal! My top suspicion would be that there is nerve damage that is causing a tingling or painful sensation for Max. Therefore, he is pushed to overgroom or chew the area and keep it open. Unfortunately, the next step for this is to consider amputation. :( (perhaps not the whole tail but at least a few vertebrae up)

Prior to amputation what you and your vet could try is to culture the area to ensure that if there is a resistant bacterial infection the prescribed antibiotic will clear this. And to try bandaging this. I like to use a syringe case as a cast and then do the bandaging around this. This is something that must be done by your vet because if bandaged too tightly at home, then it could cut off circulation to the tip of the tail and all tissue might die; then there would be no option but amputation.

Customer:

Thank you for your help,I will take him back to the Vet tomorrow. I know it is so frustrating for him but hopefully there will be a happier outcome for him soon.

Dr. Joey :

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.