Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my 9 yr old cat has started to eat dog food is that ok

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

The situation is this : Dogs can eat cat food and this is no problem and it will sustain a healthy life. However the reverse is not true, dog food is not nutritionally suitable for cats as they have different dietary requirements. So you should try to feed only cat food to Tammy if possible, you may have to experiment with various brands.

Scott Nimmo :

That said if say two thirds of Tammy's diet was a commercial cat biscuit such as Whiskas and one third was dog food then this would be probably be near enough nutritionally balanced for cats.

Hello again Maureen,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of weeks to check on your Tammy's progress with the diet, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours today so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet